Indianapolis placed defensive end Kemoko Turay on the reserve/physically unable to perform list as part of its initial roster reduction to 53 players on Saturday, ensuring that Turay will not be able to play for at least the first six weeks of the season.
Turay is still recovering from the fractured and dislocated ankle he suffered while sacking Patrick Mahomes in the fourth quarter of last season’s win over the Kansas City Chiefs. Earlier in the offseason, Turay told IndyStar an MRI had showed no damage and all he had to do was build strength, but he has not practiced at all during training camp.
Turay’s absence is a blow to the edge rush.
Before he got hurt last season, Turay had formed an impressive tandem with Justin Houston at defensive end, producing 1.5 sacks and five quarterback hits off the edge, and he had another sack erased by a penalty.
“In terms of what he brings to the table as a man and as a player, you can’t say enough good things about him,” defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus said. “He’s always been a ball of energy for us.”
Share this Story
More Stories Like This One